Self-Flushing Filter Results in Better Economic Impact
The following story is part of Schroeder’s success stories or “Technical Application (TAB) Bulletins”. A cut sheet of this can be shared with by contacting your local Schroeder Industries representative and asking for L-4946_Process Filters TAB.
Each Schroeder Industries “TAB” is broken out in steps. This better illustrates the approach of the successful process.
Confidentiality Statement: This information is the property of Schroeder Industries and cannot be copied or distributed without express permission.
- Customer experienced clogged furnace spray nozzles due to a neglected cooling tower.
- Small plastic fines from the cooling tower stopped cooling water to furnace wall resulting in a melted wall. Luckily no one was injured.
- Filtration of 100 micron was targeted for a 36 inch flooded water pipe.
- A basket strainer would have to be very large to meet the flow and pressure drop requirements.
- The basket strainer would require periodic maintenance to clean, stopping the water flow and system processes – at $10,000 per hour of lost production.
What We Did: Schroeder Industries employed the RF-3-5 self-flushing filter with uninterrupted flow and only 3-7 PSI drop while flushing.
Course of action
- Schroeder Industries chose to use the Automatic Flush Filter RF Series because it removes particulate and flushes automatically.
- The variable housing configurations provide the inlet and outlet flanges and the back-flush line to be arranged in various positions, making it possible to integrate the filter easily into any system geometry.
- 6 Automatic Backflush Filter RF-3s have been purchased over the last 5 years.
- Implementing the RF3 helped with cost-savings of labor and down-time. Less chemically treated water required for backwashing resulting in lower environmental impact and chemical cost savings.
- The uninterrupted water supply was the most important aspect in the purchases of the RF3.
- Uninterrupted cooling spray for continuous production.
- Self-flushing requires no labor costs.
- Safe and maintenance free.
FURTHER APPLICATION AREAS
- Roll Mill
- Beam Mill for nozzle protection
- Pump & Heat Exchanger Protection
RF3: Automatic Backflush Filter Technologies
Flow Range: 6600 – 10,790 gpm (25,000-40,850 L/min)
Working Pressure: 87 psi (6 bar)
Max Working Temperature: 194○
Empty Weight: 2250 lbs. (10200 kg)
Housing Volume: 168 gallons (635L)
Filter Area: 8640 in.2 (55,760 cm2)
No. of Filter Element: 24